To make it on the list of Hollywood A-Actresses is really very hard work. If you’re not as valuable as top actresses like Emma Stone, Jennifer Lawrence, Amy Adams, Natalie Portman, Meryl Streep, and their peers, it’s going to be extremely difficult to get you on the shortlist. But despite this fact, Lela Rochon has successfully carved out a niche for herself since her storming of the film industry in 1984.
In addition to her rare acting talent, she is very creative in front of the camera, which explains why she is much sought after by filmmakers and producers.
In this article, we bring you everything you need to know about Lela Rochon, including the lesser-known facts you won’t find anywhere else.
Brief Bio and Age
Lela Rochon was born on April 17, 1964, in Los Angeles, California, to the mother of a nurse named Zelma Staples and the father of a business manager named Samuel Staples. She is of American nationality and black ethnicity.
Rochon studied at Cerritos High School in Cerritos, California, from where she went to California State University, Dominguez Hills, for further education. Upon graduation, she received a BA degree in broadcast journalism, with minor subjects in sociology and drama.
Detailed information about her early life, siblings, and relatives is not currently available to the public.
The acting career of Lela Rochon began in 1984 with the movie Breakin. After her high-octane performance, she got another appearance as an actress in Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo. This was followed by several more appearances in films such as Waiting to Exhale as Robin Stokes, Stewardess School, The Wild Pair, Into the Homeland, Boomerang (a romantic comedy directed by Reginald Hudlin in 1992), and The Wayan Bros (an American hit sitcom in 1995).
The A-Lister’s most recent project is Reversion, in which she played the mother of Aja Naomi King. Sometime in 2009, she had a guest appearance in her husband’s crime thriller, Brooklyn’s Finest.
Lela Rochon’s Net Worth
In the course of her robust career, Lela has successfully established herself as one of the most valuable and relevant actresses in Hollywood, and her considerable fortune is testimony to this fact.
A look at Rochon’s career shows that she earns her money mainly through her engagements in movies and television shows. According to government websites, her fortune is estimated at $10 million. Records show that the actress has received 525,000 dollars for her role in the drama film Supremacy, which was shot in 2014. The film tells the story of how a recently paroled white racist and his unscrupulous girlfriend murdered a police officer and took an African-American family hostage.
Height & Body Stats
Lela Rochon is a Hollywood actress with lots of money and a curvy body. She is blessed with decent height and weight and admirable body measurements.
Here you can find details about her body measurements and her appearance:
Height: 5 ft 9 in / 175 cm
Weight: 141 lb / 64 kg
Body measurements: 34-24-35 inches
Shoe Size: 9 US
Hair Color: Dark brown
Eye Color: Dark brown
Quick Facts About the Actress
1. Rochon’s parents – Zelma and Samuel Staples – are of Haitian descent.
2. In 2016 the actress was appointed to give the opening speech at California State University, Dominguez.
3. 1996 she was nominated for the NAACP Image Award and the MTV Movie Award for her brilliant performance in the American love story Waiting to Exhale (1995). In the same year, she was nominated for the CableACE Award for Outstanding Actress in Mr. and Mrs. Loving for the third time.
4. The chamber actress tied the knot twice. Her first marriage, which took place between her and the American dancer, actress, and choreographer Shabba Doo, lasted from 1982 to 1987. Later, in 1999, she married the popular American producer and film director Antoine Fuqua.
5. Rochon is a mother of two children and a stepmother of her husband’s child from his former relationship. The relationship between her and Antoine produced a daughter, Asia Faqua, on July 28, 2002, and a son, Brando Fuqua, in May 2004. He is famous for his 2001 Oscar-winning Film Training Day.
6. During her years in Hollywood, she has shared her time on the big screen with top stars such as Eddy Murphy and several other film lords and queens.
7. Rochon’s role in Waiting To Exhale is considered her biggest project in the film industry.
8. lea’s sexual orientation is heterosexual.