If the world’s best in their field are mentioned, Kevin De Bruyne would certainly answer yes. The Belgian footballer is an outstanding star and has shown that he is indispensable through his many efforts to support his team both nationally and internationally. He plays as a midfielder for English club Manchester City and the Belgian national team.
Kevin was born on 28 June 1991 in Drongen, Ghent, Belgium. His father is Herwig De Bruyne and his mother, Anna De Bruyne, an oil engineer, although white, was born in Burundi. From her birthplace, she moved to the Ivory Coast and then to Ealing, where she spent most of her childhood. Kevin De Bruyne has a sister called Stefanie De Bruyne.
His playing style is like no other and he has been recognized for his uniqueness. In 2017 Kevin was voted the fourth-best footballer in the world by the Guardians. He has also often been called the complete footballer and at other times the man of the game. His colleagues, coaches, and the media were not left out when the award was presented. On more than one occasion they have named him one of the best players in Europe.
A quick look at his career shows us what a great player he is.
The dream of every boy who loves the game of football is not only to play one day but possibly to become a player of international renown. The midfielder’s dream was no different. He began his career in 2003 at the age of 12 in his home club KVV. In his second year, he joined the Belgian football, athletics and field hockey club Ghent, but moved to Genk in the same year 2005.
Within a short time after training, Kevin showed through his progress that he is a prodigy and an asset to be maintained. He was promoted to the first squad in 2008. After more than 7 years at the club, he moved to Chelsea in 2012.
He signed a five and a half year contract at Stamford Bridge for a fee estimated at around £7 million. As he saw his new base like a dream come true, he worked hard to achieve the desired success there.
With his shares rising quite fast, it was no surprise that the big names of football clubs flocked to him to have him in their ranks. In the Bundesliga, he was loaned to Werder Bremen for one season. He continued his good form and scored a number of goals for the club, most of which was the coveted wins in several matches. Kevin returned to Chelsea on 1 July 2013.
He was transferred to Wolfsburg in 2014 for a signing fee of 18 million pounds (22 million euros). An experienced player, he set a new Bundesliga record and finished the season with 21 goals. This achievement also earned his club second place in the Bundesliga and qualified for the UEFA Champions League 2015-16.
Kevin De Bruyne signed a six-year contract with the English club Manchester City. The contract was signed for a fee of £55 million, making it the second most expensive transfer in the history of British football after Ángel Di María’s move to Manchester United in 2014. He scored the winning goal against Paris Saint-Germain, taking his club to the semi-finals of the 2016 Champions League for the first time in the club’s history.
After his many career milestones, he has established himself as one of the world’s best talents. In January 2018, he signed a new contract with Manchester City that will keep him in the club until 2023.
Find out more about his life off the pitch.
Kevin De Bruyne Wife, Girlfriend
The city midfielder is married to a blonde beauty, Michele Lacroix. They met in 2014 when he played for Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga. He joined the Premier League club after finding out that his girlfriend at the time (now wife) was pregnant after he said earlier that if he has to move, it is because it is a good choice for him and his family. Kevin signed the contract with Manchester City accompanied by his wife.
Their son, Mason Milian De Bruyne, was born on 10 March 2016 and they tied the knots in June 2017 in Italy, after their engagement in 2016, at the foot of the Eiffel Tower of the City of Love (Paris).
Like most athletes, Kevin De Bruyne had a relationship in the past before settling down with his wife. It was with Caroline Lijnen, with whom he was together for three years. However, the relationship could not continue because of infidelity on the way of the girl. It was reported that Caroline was cheated with Thibaut Courtois, Kevin’s international teammate with Belgium.
The discovery created a rift between the two, although they are now good. Caroline claimed she wanted to take revenge on Kevin, who had first started the infidelity game. She claimed that he slept with her old best friend in 2012.
What is His Salary?
He’s an invaluable player. Kevin was part of the revolution on his national team and has promoted his club to the top. Consequently, his merit should say more about his value and performance.
With the many contracts he has signed, his salary would be in the range of the world’s best players. His contract with City until 2023 would earn him a salary worth around £115,000 a week. However, when the contract is renewed in early 2018, he would earn around £210,000 per week.
Based on his handsome salary and sponsorship money, his net worth is estimated at around £30 million.
Height, Weight and Other Facts about Him
- The outstanding footballer in the nature of athletes has a well-built body with appropriate statistics. He is 5’11” (1.81 m) tall and his body weight is 150 lbs (68 kg).
- Kevin De Bruyne is known as a tumble dryer because of his dry humor and ability to keep a cool demeanor.
- He made his international debut in 2010 and has won over 50 caps (appearances) for his home country Belgium.
- Because of his mother’s nationality, he is eligible to play for the Burundi team, although he would have played for England when it was thought that his mother was a local.
- The playmaker is multilingual and speaks fluent Dutch, French, German, and English.
- Kevin bought his first car, a Mercedes, in 2015 to prepare for the birth of his first child.
- In an interview he gave as a child, the star said that Liverpool was his favorite team.
- After an impressive record – 16 goals and 21 assists – he was named Footballer of the Year 2015 at the end of his break-out season in Germany.
- The midfielder was part of his national team that reached the quarter-finals of the 2014 FIFA World Cup and UEFA Euro 2016.
- His autobiography Keep It Simple, co-authored by Raoul de Groote, was published in October 2014.
- Kevin is an avid conservationist and spends most of his free time walking around the country and observing wildlife.
- In August 2014 he was appointed Ambassador of the Weltvogelpark bird sanctuary, Walsrode, Germany.
- Like most athletes who have the knack of turning their successes into a profitable business like CR7 by Cristiano Ronaldo, A-Z by Zlatan Ibrahimovic, and FIVE Supply by Rio Ferdinand, Kevin has his own clothing line called KDB. It is a pop-up clothing line in partnership with the company Cult Eleven.
- Since 2014, he has been an ambassador for Special Olympics and sends a portion of the profits from his clothing line to them.